Monday, April 26, 2010

Fromage -- Best New Cheese Award

The last time I went to visit my Grandparents I had the pleasure of enjoying and demolishing a Christmas gift from their son (my uncle): the month of March for their Cheese of the Month Membership – only the most brilliant gift idea since a box of chocolates. I was first going to dedicate this entry to just how fantastic a gift this is, until I did a little recherche, and saw that its $89.95… for 2 months. And lets be honest, you need to give at least 6 months or it just seems stingy. Which brings you to a whopping total of $269.85 and if you’re unemployed like m-o-i, my only comment is…. Yeah right. You might as well just go to a store, pick out 3 cheeses, and hand deliver them to your loved one once a month.

BUT

Before I chalk it up as a total loss (for my uncle), I did try a new cheese that was an absolute DELIGHT for my mouth: Port de Salut. The cow's milk-based French cheese looks like muenster with a thin orange rind, but is softer, and more flavorful. According to whoever writes about cheese on Wiki, the smooth and velvety texture has a highly desirable light acidic taste giving freshness and a great finish. Port Salut has universal appeal.” (I mean "acidic" makes it sounds bad, but I think what they mean is that it was deliciously salty.) A fantastic alternative to Brie, I've enjoyed Port Salut on crackers, baguette, with a spot of chutney, and right off my fingers. You can find this Best New Cheese available at any supermarket with a decent cheese section.

So think outside the plain old cheddar box -- this savory treat will not disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment