Monday, June 21, 2010

Found: Local Gem in Queen City

This past friday night, I went over to Noda, Charlotte's art district, after work to celebrate a very talented friend. A local gallery was having a competition in which two of her paintings were contenders. I went with the intention of slipping a couple extra ballots in the box, but ended up wandering around the Art crawl for almost an hour, stopping to chat with local merchants and artists, enjoying the live music and free wine (woo!)

The art was nice and all (mostly just my friend's), but of course what caught my eye? A particular table of awesome jewelery. Big statement necklaces, chunky rings, and all at prices that made me swoon. I was definitely lingering, and ended up striking up a conversation with the two fascinating women who owned Sparrow Boutique. Local to Charlotte, they decided to start their own retail business because of their love to shop. It was all I could do not to shout SAMESIES!!

Traveling up to NYC several times a year, they buy fabulous and on-trend jewlery in the wholesale district, then bring it down to North Carolina to sell at prices we all can afford -- nothing on their website is over $50!! Their goods have caught the eye of women nationwide, and they have even done some styling for TV personalities.

As I stood there listening to their story, I couldn't stop staring at this fabulous pistachio colored ring. They recognized a poor girl in love with the fashion world and offered me the ring in exchange for a shoutout on my blog... like I needed any more convincing!!

They have a table at the art crawl in Noda the first and third friday of the month, and I would not miss stopping by. It's the jewelery you see in boutiques, without their heinous price tag. For you out of towners, don't sweat it -- they ship nationwide!

It's so important to support local merchants and entrepreneurs, and these women make it easy. Their warm and genuine nature (so rare in fashion), combined with a killer eye for jewelry trends, makes you want to grab everything on the table - then go catch up over for a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment