Thursday, June 10, 2010

Less Sex, Different City, Still loved it.

I am a little ashamed to say how long it took me to see Sex and the City 2: The Movie. Don't judge me.... 11 days. I promise I am an avid fan, have seen every episode, went on opening day to the first movie, and have spent way too many hours of my life watching late night re-runs on TBS.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the movie!! Now I know it hasn't gotten an Oscar buzz, but let's face it - that's not the point of Sex and the City. Did I laugh? Yes. Drool over amazing couture? Yes. Cringe at not-quite-as-superfluous-as-usual sex scenes? Yes. So in the world of Sex and the City, it was another smashing success.

I was happy that the movie evolved with the women, addressing appropriate issues of their new stage in life - even if marriage issues and menopause don't necessarily affect me right now. Samantha was the real star, and I appreciated her staying true to her love 'em and leave 'em life style when even Carrie admits to spending more time and money on shopping for furniture than shoes.

Their adventures in the Middle East were cliche, (sometimes flirting with offensive), and the issue of how these women afford their extravagant wardrobes and lifestyles remains a mystery, but I had a wonderful time watching this visual feast. Sending these 4 women on a trip was a great idea for more fabulous outfits against a new and breathtaking backdrop. I would not be surprised to see some of the genius work of stylist Patricia Fields trickle down into mainstream trends. Some of my favorite looks below:
Halston Heritage jumped out as an obvious favorite for Carrie in this movie, who designed the 3 dresses below:

(Carrie wore this orange dress while moping on the beach... remember?)


(This blue dress is easily my favorite dress/look of the entire film. Except for maybe the gown she has on for dinner with Aiden. Ok so it's not an easy choice. I never said I was decisive)


Part of what makes Sex and the City so aesthetically pleasing is that stylist Patricia Field admittedly is conscious of having the 4 girls clothing blend, while retaining their own personal style. Here is a shining moment of her success:


Now call me crazy, but I was kind of into the turban. Carrie has started so many trends over the course of her career (crazy expensive footwear, the baguette bag, nameplate necklaces, mixing patterns and designers, flower corsages) and this might be the next. Now I know people aren't quite so adventurous, but I think I might try out the look with a turban style headband. The headbands both hippie chic and preppy like Blair Waldorf




So she might have never addressed it on screen, but Carrie was DEFINITELY cheating on Manolo in this movie. One of her most memorable and fabulous shoes were these below, Lavender Suede Studded Pumps by Brian Atwood ($815 a pop. She wore them with that tied up plaid shirt and jeans outfit I won't comment on at brunch with the girls.)



Well, well, well. Look who's mixing patterns, JUST like we called earlier this spring.... This is such a Charlotte outfit - ladylike, classic, and polished.

My favorite look of Samantha's -- If I can look this good at 50+ I will thank the lucky stars. Sam might be the only one who could pull off earrings THIS large, but it's an alternative to the statement necklace that I'd be willing to try


Both Carrie and Charlotte in Halston Heritage (again!) and I would kill to get my hands on that ginormous diamond Chanel bib necklace.... just kidding. But seriously.


I think SATC2 is definitely worth seeing on the big screen. Grab one of those jumbo tubs of popcorn with free refills, and enjoy the show - fashion show that is. If you're going for life-changing, soul searching content, your best bet is to stay home and watch Glee.

2 comments:

  1. although undeniably more fashion ignorant than you, c, I was not a fan of carrie's first halston heritage white dress. she started off movie #1 in a white dress (big flower on shoulder) and i feel this one paled in comparison... along with most of the sequel. love, m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been observing the growing prevalence of turbans on almost all the fashion blogs I follow, and in the styling of the models on many of the online shopping sites I visit. This is definitely going to be a mainstream trend you're right on about that!

    Also you failed to mention, to my dismay, one more thing to love about the madewell website is the use of the gorgeous asian model...give it up for jcrew for doing this as well (I guess they are connected so it makes sense). haha.

    ReplyDelete