Friday, July 2, 2010

Damn this Big Head: Hats are Back.

This post is dedicated to my dear friend Emi-chan. Ever the fashion enthusiast, always two trends ahead of me, I am not lying when I tell you that my friends and I have fought as to who gets first dibs when Emily cleans out her closet.

She emailed me last week to suggest a new topic for a post: hats. They are undoubtedly a huge trend this summer, and with my abnormally large head (thanks Dad) this is an accessory that I have shy-ed (shied? who cares. it's friday!) away from. But not from lack of interest...

There are a wide range of hats to choose from, and to be frank, the summer is the best time to experiement as most of them are practical - shades your face, keeps you cool, and gives you a way to cover up your locks when it's way too hot to blow dry.

Rachel Bilson throws one on with a basic jersey dress. The result when paired with a black fringed bag and skinny studded belt? Instant cool.


Here is super trendy, high fashion muse Agyness Deyn, who wears hers to sass up a plaid dress (I also love the socks and oxfords, this girl can pull off just about anything).
Here are some of my favorite hats this summer. In every shape and color, you would be missing out not to give one a try!
We'll start it off with my absolute favorite. The fedora is by far the trendiest hat right now, and can be worn with anything from a bikini to a LBD, to anyplace from the beach to a trendy restaurant. Taken from the classic menswear piece, I LOVE the bow on this hat as it adds a small, but distinctly feminine touch. The combination is quirky and irresistable.
Urban Outfitters, $48.,


Well Done Nordstrom, they are ALL OVER this trend. Here is the perfect fedora for summer. Only $28, and it comes in 7 colors!! Go for Mocha if your scared, but for the summer? I would try the kelly green or raspberry. Packs the perfect punch of color, and all you need to pair it with are some jean cut-offs and a tank top! Nordstrom, $28.

If this is not your first forray with headwear, I would definitely go for this striped fedora. It classic yet eyecatching with a white button down, but would also be PERFECT with a tan trenchcoat this fall...sigh. Urban Outfitters, $28

A little flatter and more circular than the fedora, another great look for summer is the "boating hat". Taken literally and worn with stripes here, I would pair it with a floaty floral derss or romper. Shopruche, $19.


So maybe this isn't as practical, but there is something so glamorous about a wide-brimmed sun-hat. Pair it with any solid color bikini and a white cover up?
I'd die. Plus you'd have something amazing for the Kentucky Derby next year...
Eugenia Kim, $298
Somewhere between the broadbrimmed bucket hat, the red piping on this number is both sweet and sharp. Without it this girl would just be "Meh" in a polka dotted dress.
Eugenia Kim, Shopbop.


LOVE the geometric cut-outs, this hat is a great solution for your fair skinned girls. and SO chic -it could go from the pool, to an outside cocktail party, to a graduation. Also comes in a neutral shade. Arden B, $29.One of my favorite looks that I picked up when abroad in Paris. These "knit berets" are a downtown, updated version of the French hat. Wear pushed back a little bit on your head (to avoid the muffin top), these are a casual, effortless way to add some punch to your outfit. This one comes in a bunch of color options too! Urban Outfitters, $24


The trend gets a preppy twist in brightly knit colors. Kangol, $40.



A slouchy hat with a cheeky print! And in beige, you could get some wear out of this before winter. TopShop.





Hopefully you find my research satisfactory Em, and that one of these toppers catches your eye. and I call dibs when it gets discarded... that is if it can fit over this damn big head.

No comments:

Post a Comment