Monday, July 12, 2010

Flying the Stylin Skies

I received requests from 2 of my favorite globe trotters on how to effectively and efficiently pack for a trip around the world (seriously, 1 lady to China and the other to Zambia). With the obnoxious fees for checking bags, its just not as easy as it used to be -- shoving everything you loved into a suitcase, regardless of factors like "space" or "practicality". Plus then there's the comfort factor, and the fact that you will undoubtedly experience 15 different temperatures during the course of the voyage.

I am still working on my packing skillz, but I try to make sure that everything I consider can be worn several different ways, for example: a dress that can be dolled up with a belt and some heels, or dressed down with a vest or long scarf, and matches with whatever cardigan or jacket you bring. I hate an outfit-repeat more than anyone, but trust me, I hate lugging a monster suitcase filled with "just in case" clothes even more.

Wearing boots or heels through the airport will also save space, and its not that crazy since flying actually involves a lot more sitting than walking. LAYERING is a must; tank top, cardigan, long scarf. My favorite trick? wear a chic coat -- with whatever you want underneath. leggings and a t-shirt will keep you comfy on the plane, but you'll still look polished and appropriate for the rest of the trip - and you don't have to worry about squeezing your coat into a suitcase!

Earth shattering advice? No. But some of these ladies and look pretty darn good doing it:
The simplest path to Airport Chic is to layer. All of these women stuck to coordinating (and comfortable looking) basics, then accessorized with an oversized scarf - sometimes bright and patterned, somtimes sleek and grey. I say pick your softest one, and it can double as a pillow...

Sienna Miller:
Reese Witherspoon:


Kate Bosworth:


Heidi Klum:


A trend that I am super into right now are these slouchy pieces with menswear inspiration. These women somehow manage to look laid back and professional in the same outfit. Pull your hair up and throw on some heels and you don't even need to change post flight.
Love love love Kylie Minogue's look:
Airport style All-Star Victoria Beckham:


Like I mentioned before, sometimes a great coat can be the outfit. Yes, VB has on killer shoes and an amazing bag, but for all we know she could have on Sofees under that coat...

Victoria Beckham:
Didn't even need to style her hair with a thick headband on, but that fierce a-line coat will get her from point A to B, and again a big old mystery to what she's got underneath (one of David's tshirts?):

Eva Mendez is a genius with this sweater/coat hybrid, makes me all warm and sleepy just looking at it...


Kate Hudson's lightweight white (and adorable) coat can take her right into spring. And you know she's still going to be comfortable on the plane with a t-shirt and jeans underneath:


A great option for summer - throw on a maxi dress! You'll look so polished, and still feel like you're in your pj's...

No suprise that Rihanna gets it right (although that necklace might set off a metal detector or two)


Jessica is usually a "don't" for me, but she managed to throw on a maxi dress and look better after a red eye than she does on some red carpets!

Oh and if you're a celebrity, an accessory "must"? Oversized sunglasses and a terse facial expression. For us regular folk? Plenty of candy and trashy magazines.
Hope I wasn't too late to help... Safe traveling, Maddie and Suz!!

1 comment:

  1. Chlo- this is PERFECT for me. Honestly, for the past 2 months I've been contemplating packing for my Asian departure, which doesn't occur until late August... yet have been too weary on the whole 1 year, 4 seasons, 2 suitcases dilema. Needless to say, I'll be layering for my minimum of 15 hour flight (depending on how many layovers they decide to toss my way) and don't worry, there will be plenty of candy and trashy mags on the carry on... if they fit between my shoes :)
    Alex

    ReplyDelete